Move over, pigs in a blanket: There’s a new, adorable appetizer in town! These bite-sized snacks are sure to bring a smile to everyones’ faces with their cute miniature size and big fiesta flavors. A clever technique transforms wonton wrappers into tiny taco shells that are stuffed with Eckrich® Li’l Smokies and topped with homemade pico de gallo and cumin-spiced sour cream.
- Vegetable Oil2 Tsp
- Plum Tomatoes, Seeded, Chopped Fine4
- Small Red Onion, Chopped Fine1/4 C
- Chopped Fresh Cilantro1/4 C
- Fresh Cilantro Leaves1/2 Cup
- Lemon, Juiced1/2
- Clove Garlic, Finely Grated1
- Kosher Salt, To Taste1 Tsp
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste1 Tsp
- Sour Cream1 C
- Ground Cumin1 1/2 Tsp
- Wonton Wrappers14 Ounce
- Eckrich® Li’l Smokies Original Cocktail Smoked Sausage14 Ounce
- Limes, Wedged For Serving2
HEAT Dutch oven, filled halfway with oil, over medium heat to 350°F.
COMBINE tomato, onion, chopped cilantro, lemon juice and garlic in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
COMBINE sour cream and cumin in small bowl.
FORM wontons, using tongs, into shape of taco shell and fry until light golden-brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Transfer to paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining wontons.
HEAT 2 teaspoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausages and cook, stirring occasionally, until fully heated through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
FILL each fried wonton with two to three sausages and top with tomato mixture, sour cream mixture and cilantro leaves. Serve with lime wedges.