Skillet pizza on the grill?!?! Sounds wild, but it just might work. Especially when you pile on the Eckrich® Smoked Sausage. Add some corn kernels and fresh basil, and top it off with that grilled up tasty Eckrich® Smoked Sausage.
- Pkg. Eckrich Smoked Sausage, sliced into 1/4'-slices10 - 14 oz.
- Large sweet onion, sliced thin1 whole
- Ear corn, husked1 whole
- Basil leaves1 cup(s)
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded1/2 cup(s)
- Pizza dough (store-bought or homemade) , room temperature16 oz.
- Olive oil, divided1/4 cup(s)
- Marinara or pizza sauce1/2 cup(s)
- Crushed red pepper flakes, for serving
PREHEAT oven or grill to 475°F.
STRETCH dough to 12"-circle on lightly floured surface.
HEAT 2 tablespoons of oil in 12' cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove sausage from skillet. Place ear of corn in skillet (or on grill grates) and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, until kernels start to brown. Remove from heat, let cool slightly and cut kernels off of cob.
TRANSFER dough to hot skillet. Spread marinara or pizza sauce over dough and top with cheese, sausage, corn kernels, and sliced onion. Brush exposed crust with remaining olive oil. Place skillet in oven or on grill (closing lid if grilling), and cook 12 to 14 minutes, until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbling.
REMOVE pizza from oven or grill and top with fresh basil leaves and crushed red pepper flakes.