No festive meal is complete without a side of savory stuffing. Try this Southern-inspired version with rich Eckrich® Smoked Sausage, sweet apples and tasty cornbread for a dish loaded with delicious flavor and texture.
- Pkgs. Eckrich Smoked Sausage, diced28 oz.
- Unsalted butter1/2 cup(s)
- Large sweet onions, finely chopped2 whole
- Stalks celery, trimmed and finely chopped6
- Large red apples, cored and finely chopped2 whole
- Chopped fresh sage leaves2 tbsp.
- Fresh thyme leaves1 tsp.
- Large eggs6
- Pkg. stuffing mix14 oz.
- Loaf of prepared cornbread (homemade or store-bought)12 - 16 oz.
- Low-sodium chicken broth10 cup(s)
- Freshly ground black pepper2 tsp.
- Kosher salt1 tsp.
PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Light coat two 3-quart baking dishes with butter or oil.
MELT butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion, celery, and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add apples, sage and thyme and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
WHISK eggs in a large mixing bowl. Stir in contents of skillet, stuffing mix, and chicken broth. Crumble corn bread into bowl and stir in pepper and salt until well-combined. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dishes. Do ahead: The dressing can be prepared up 24 hours in advance, just cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before baking.
BAKE dressing uncovered for 75 minutes, until top is golden-brown and the center is set.