- 28 oz. Pkgs. Eckrich Smoked Sausage, diced28 oz.
- 1/2 cup(s) Unsalted butter1/2 cup(s)
- 2 whole Large sweet onions, finely chopped2 whole
- 6 Stalks celery, trimmed and finely chopped6
- 2 whole Large red apples, cored and finely chopped2 whole
- 2 Tbsp. Chopped fresh sage leaves2 Tbsp.
- 1 Tsp. Fresh thyme leaves1 Tsp.
- 6 Large eggs6
- 14 oz. Pkg. stuffing mix14 oz.
- 12 - 16 oz. Loaf of prepared cornbread (homemade or store-bought)12 - 16 oz.
- 10 cup(s) Low-sodium chicken broth10 cup(s)
- 2 Tsp. Freshly ground black pepper2 Tsp.
- 1 Tsp. Kosher salt1 Tsp.
PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Light coat two 3-quart baking dishes with butter or oil.
MELT butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion, celery, and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add apples, sage and thyme and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
WHISK eggs in a large mixing bowl. Stir in contents of skillet, stuffing mix, and chicken broth. Crumble corn bread into bowl and stir in pepper and salt until well-combined. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dishes. Do ahead: The dressing can be prepared up 24 hours in advance, just cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before baking.
BAKE dressing uncovered for 75 minutes, until top is golden-brown and the center is set.