Everyone needs a good pesto recipe, and once you’ve got this Italian sauce down, you’ll find that its uses are endless: toss it with pasta, spoon it over grilled meats or use it as a condiment on your favorite sandwich! Here, we spread it on grilled turkey and cheese sandwiches that borrow ingredients (mozzarella, tomato and basil) from a classic caprese salad.
- Packed fresh basil leaves2 c
- Pine nuts, toasted2 tsp
- Cloves garlic2
- Olive oil⅓ c
- Heavy cream2 tbsp
- Finely grated Parmesan cheese1/2 c
- Kosher salt, to taste1 tsp
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste1 tsp
- Whole grain bread (16 slices)16 oz
- Eckrich® Honey Roasted Turkey Breast, sliced2 lbs
- Mozzarella cheese, sliced2 lbs
- Large beefsteak tomatoes, sliced2
- Baby spinach2 oz
- Unsalted butter, divided8 tbsp
ADD basil, pine nuts and garlic to food processor and blend until finely minced.
ADD oil, heavy cream and Parmesan and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
SPREAD basil pesto on eight slices of bread and top with turkey, mozzarella, tomato, spinach and remaining bread slices.
MELT 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
COOK two to three sandwiches at a time on each side until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining butter and sandwiches.